RESOLUTION – Get back on the healthy wagon with time restraints in mind.
To me and many others, the new year brings the resolution to get back into the swing of things while still battling the cold weather and time restraints. This is why I have titled January as the Month of the Crock-Pot.
The cold weather screams for a warm evening meal, but that does not mean that I have time to slave over the stove for hours to prepare dinner every night. This is exactly why the crock-pot is my New Year Superhero. Crock-pot meals take very little effort but always produce a tasty end result.
This recipe is one of five for this January’s Crock-Pot Series, so I thought I would begin with my show-stopper, chicken tacos. Have you ever heard “it’s hard to mess up this recipe”? Well, this is one of them. Chicken tacos in your slow cooker is not only a healthy meal option, but it is also one the whole family will enjoy. You can spice up your rendition of this recipe by taking away things you might not enjoy and adding those that you prefer like homemade salsa, peppers, onions and other Mexican meal staples. So avoid spending hours on cooking dinner, and try this just as delicious chicken tacos recipe!
Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 can or 15oz organic corn
- 1 can or 15oz organic black beans
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning mix
- Make your own mix by using: powder, ground cumin, paprika, crushed red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and black pepper until desired taste.
- 1lb diced chicken breast (uncooked, see NOTE below)
- ½ -1 cup water **
For Topping: 10oz bag shredded lettuce
- 2 diced avocados
- 2 diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Organic whole grain or corn tortilla chips
- Shredded Mexican cheese**Optional
- Using a 2-4 quart Crock-Pot throw in diced (1-2 inch pieces) chicken, corn, black beans and taco season mix. Stir to mix the taco seasoning spices. Let cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Add ½-1 cup of water and stir about halfway into cooking time if extra moisture is needed.
- Once fully cooked, unplug Crock-Pot or place on warm setting. Scoop cooked Crock-Pot meal into bowl and let cool.
- Half and dice avocado and tomatoes. Place shredded lettuce, diced tomato and diced avocado on top of Crock-Pot meal in your bowl.
- Toss on a dallop of sour cream, sprinkle on 1 ounce of shredded mexican cheese and add one serving size of tortilla chips crushed or whole.
NOTE: For safety, it is important to understand how to properly use RAW meats in your Crock-Pot meals. Assuming you do not overload your slow cooker, it should be safe to add uncooked meats that have been thawed and diced into smaller pieces of 1-2 inches so long as your Crock-Pot reaches temperatures of 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius) in two hours or less. If you are uncertain about using raw meats, no worries. Simply saute your chicken (or meat) before adding to your recipe. For additional food safety tips for your Crock-Pot, click here.
What did your recipe turn out like? Send your feedback, ideas and pictures to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy SLOW Cooking!
– CASEY EDMONDS, CHC
Health Advisor | Email Casey