Red, White and Blue Bake Recipe
Low calories, sweet and delicious are just a few ways to describe this patriotic dessert dish just in time for an Independence Day cookout! Not only does this recipe only call for just FOUR all-star ingredients, but it’s also gluten and lactose free! Here’s to a healthier, happier U.S.A.!
Did you know?
Quick Ingredient Highlights:
- Quinoa is an extremely versatile grain crop that is actually related to spinach! Just a ½ cup of this superfood has 4g of protein, 3g of fiber, 0g cholesterol and even contains 9 essential amino acids.
- Blueberries have been found to decrease blood pressure, manage blood sugar levels, decrease heart disease and improve bone health. A ½ cup of Blueberries has 0g of fat, 7g of sugar and is loaded with antioxidants, Vitamins C and K and manganese.
- Strawberries are one of the most widely-known fruits as they are produced almost entirely everywhere world-wide. A cup of Strawberries has 150% Daily Value of Vitamin C and 9% DV of Folate.
- Cocowhip is a non-dairy alternative to cool whip. Calorically, the two creams are comparable, coconut milk and/or cream has been shown to contain substantial amounts of iron, niacin and copper. Though pre-made whips can be found in most grocery store freezers, easy-make recipes are also available.
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Calories per serving: 113 Makes 12 servings.
- 3 cups Quinoa, 666 calories
- 2 cups Blueberries, 170 calories
- 3 cups Strawberries, 160 calories
- 1 ½ cup (24 tbsp) Cocowhip, 360 calories
– Boil 6 cups quinoa in water on stove until completely cooked.
– Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Place parchment paper on baking sheet then spread cooked quinoa evenly onto baking sheet forming about a 13″ x 18″ rectangle.
– Place blueberries side by side in top, left hand corner forming about a 5″ x 7″ rectangle.
– Halve strawberries, then place side by side in a straight line or stripe from top to bottom lengthwise leaving a little bit of space between rows for cocowhip white stripes (applied later).
– Place in oven to bake for 45 minutes or until fully baked to likeness. Check every fifteen minutes.
– Take out of oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
– Apply thin layer of cocowhip in between strawberry stripes and blueberries.
– Cut into 12 proportionate pieces like a cake and enjoy!
Are you still struggling? DO NOT FRET! We’ve got your back. Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– CASEY EDMONDS, CHC
Health Advisor | Email Casey