May is Mental Health Awareness Month. In light of COVID-19, Americans are witnessing how their mental health status and needs may be changing. Since Monday’s blog theme is “always Menu Monday”, I wanted to offer a simple recipe that goes back to basics, which can help lower your stress in these uncertain times. It is affordable, you probably already have most or all of these ingredients in your refrigerator (even as you stretch grocery trips), and it is also a healthy comfort food for many people. I’m talking “egg salad”.
It has certainly been a regular on my menu rotation since in quarantine! Even the kids love it. Planning tip: just add an extra dozen eggs to your next grocery trip if you plan to make it. And talk about versatile! When served on whole wheat bread (and with some veggies like lettuce tomato and onion), egg salad can make for a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Need a quick snack? Serve it in a cup. Make a batch and feed your family, or save it for yourself and you’ve got lunches for the week. Healthy cooking doesn’t have to be complicated, or perfect.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 5 TBSP mayonnaise (or substitute with PLAIN Greek yogurt)
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 celery rib, minced (if you have on hand)
- Dash of paprika (optional)
- Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and chop whites.
- Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt & pepper to taste until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve on bread or over lettuce.
Yields 6 servings
Need assistance managing stress, your mental health, or Nutrition? We would love to connect with and support you! Reach out to us at email@example.com.
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– KEELEY MEZZANCELLO, MS, RD, CSCS