The Classic: Gourmet Grilled Cheese
It’s that time of year for cozy comfort foods! There’s nothing better than putting on sweats, curling up on the couch, and having a winter soup, chili, or a good old-fashioned grilled cheese to warm us from the inside out.
Growing up, our easy go-to meal (particularly on snow days) was Campbell’s tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. While I still love this meal, especially when it’s cold or I am sick, I have experimented with my grilled cheeses to spice them up a bit and add more nutrients to this classic sandwich. Really, it creates a blank canvas for you to add whatever strikes your fancy as far as add-ons but below are a couple of my favorite variations. Plus, these gourmet versions pack a health punch of folate, vitamin K, vitamin A, lycopene, and others from the tomato and spinach, fiber from the apple, and healthy fats from the avocado!
I hope you enjoy these quick, delicious new twists on an old classic and happy holidays!!
The first two ingredients are used for any version that you make:
- 2 slices of whole wheat or multi-grain bread
- Drizzle or brush of olive oil on sides of bread
- 1-2 slice each: medium or sharp American, Mozzarella
- 2-4 torn strips of fresh basil
- 1/2 avocado sliced and mashed onto bread
- 2-3 slices fresh tomato
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1-2 slices each: mozzarella, havarti or brie
- 1/2 Granny smith apple sliced thinly
- Handful of spinach
- Optional-light drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette or balsamic vinegar
- Heat a George Foreman, cast iron, or regular cooking skillet and spray with Pam.
- Place sandwich in pan or Foreman and lightly grill the one side
- Respray the pan and flip the sandwich to cook the other makings sure that the cheese has melted throughout
– LAUREN ORMSBEE, CHC, CEP