The Healthy Manly Salad Meal
Not to sound too stereotypical, but when I think of the men in my life and their diets, I think…
… burgers, steaks, starches, grilling out, fish fry, hotdogs. All of those things that are often indicative of the true All-American Man. Predictably, “healthy” isn’t exactly the first word that pops into my head, much less a healthy salad! So what I am about to say may come as bit of a shock, but I want to throw a salad entree in this “All-American Man” meal mix. I know, I know, I’m walking a fine line taking on this task, but rest assured this delicious yet healthy meal option will have a manly twist that requires the men in your life to grill out and enjoy!
- 1lb organic lean beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup local tomatoes sliced
- 1 sweet vidalia onion sliced, grilled
- 4 cups raw mixed greens
- 4 dill pickles for side garnish
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices of bread for toast
- 4 ears of organic yellow corn, shucked
- 8 ounces condiment of choice (mustard, ketchup, dijon mustard…)
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- **Spices optional for meat
- Begin by preparing your tossed salad.
- Slice your tomatoes and throw it into a big mixing with your greens.
- Cover and leave.
Get ready and prepare the food you need to cook on the grill.
- Lay out your four slices of bread on an easy to carry platter.
- Slice your onion into ½-1 inch width whole ring and place on an easy-to-carry platter.
- Sprinkle each onion slice lightly with olive oil.
- Wrap each shucked ear of corn in aluminum foil. Place on easy-to-carry platter.
- Pat out 4 lean ground beef or ground turkey patties.
- Add any desired spices into meat now.
- Place on platter you will carry out to the grill.
- Take it all out to the grill.
Time to grill.
- Turn on the grill to medium to high heat.
- Carefully place your wrapped ears of corn on the top rack or perimeter of the grill and each burger/patty in the center of the grill.
- Close the lid and let cook.
- Check often for doneness of both the meat and corn to likeness.
- Flip the burger and rotate corn to cook evenly.
- Remove burgers and corn when done. Let cool.
- Turn down heat to medium to low heat.
- Place sliced onions on the grill with slices of bread on the perimeter of the grill.
- Flip and let cook until bread is crispy and onions are done to likeness. Watch closely as this can be a quick cooking process.
- Turn off the grill.
Plate it and enjoy.
- Place your tossed salad down first in the center of your plate.
- Put your cooked ear of corn, toast and dill pickle around the perimeter.
- Place your burger right on the center of your salad.
- Top with a slice of traditional american cheese and grilled onions.
- Garnish with desired condiment.
– Casey Edmonds, CHC