Peas, Love & Pasta
Here’s a super simple Monday night dinner that is heart healthy. Fresh peas are showing up in the grocery store, so you may choose to use them, but you can always use frozen ones as well. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
Here’s what you’ll need for two to three servings:
- Farfalle pasta (or as we like to call it “butterfly” pasta)
- Half an onion
- A few scallions (the green and upper white part)
- Couple cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of peas
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of walnuts
- Lemon zest
- Boil the pasta according to the directions and reserve a cup of the pasta water.
- You can scoop the pasta out and set it aside, if you like you can cook the peas for a few minutes in the pasta water, or you can cook them separately in a small pan. Drain the peas and have them on standby.
- In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil, sliced onion, garlic and scallion. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Toss the pasta into the pan, add the pasta water, the steamed peas and a few cranks of freshly ground salt and pepper. Grate a healthy dose of Parmesan cheese on top.
- You can make it even better by crumbling a small handful of walnuts into the mix and adding the zest of a lemon.
So good, your heart will thank you and I hope your people will show you a little more love!
– KELLEY COLIHAN ROBERTSON, E-RYT